A Tribute to Chief Inspector George William (Gus) Tilbury

An example of police life in the middle of the 20th century

Note the frequent moves from one station to another, not always because of promotion. This system was made possible by force owned police houses situated close to each police station. The officers did not own cars then and were all living within walking or cycling distance of the station.

Also note the off duty involvement in sports and social activities in the days before television etc.

Born in 1918 at Horndean, Hants.
Died in 1982 in Colchester, Essex

Served:
Winchester 1938 to 1946 (Absent in RAF during WW2)
Liphook 1946 – 1950
Winchester 1950 – 1953
Whitehill 1953 – 1955
Gosport 1955 – 1960
Lymington 1960 – 1964
Andover 1964 – 1966
Winchester 1966 – 1968 (Seconded to Bramshill Police College).
Retired after 30 yrs service.

Click to enlarge

Late 1940s PC GWT is in front row – second from right

Early 50s GWT is in front row in Sergeants uniform.
This looks like old Police HQ  Winchester


Above mid 1950s, GWT front row 4th from right


Photo above taken in early 1950s Sergeants course was old HQ Winchester
‘Gus’ Tilbury is back row, second from right.
Ted Ainsworth, second row third from left. Same row, second from right is Eric Thorne.
Front row: left is H.V.D. Hallet and middle row, fourth from left, Jim Long


Above Inspectors at Bramshill Police College
in 1960s?



1950s Sergeant Tilbury – fourth from right front row
Ted Aisnworth front row far left

 

Early 50s details not known?

 

“Table 21 The Police College, Ryton Jan-Mar 1952”
written on back

“5th Senior Staff Course – January 1967 – June 1967”

Bramshill 66

 

Photos to follow…