THE POLICE STATIONS OF PORTSMOUTH
by Terry Swetnam
Terry is compiling a history of Policing in Portsmouth and would be interested to hear from anyone who has documents, photographs, artifacts etc. on the subject. These links have some details about individual Police stations:
- Dockyard Police (Portsmouth)
- History of Policing in Portsmouth
- Photographs Portsmouth
- Portsmouth City Police
- Portsmouth Police Fire Brigade
- “Byculla House”
In January 1836 the Portsmouth Watch and Ward Committee recommended the establishment of a regular Police Force to replace The Watch.
The following ranks were attested:
6 Head Constables at £40 per annum
12 Ordinary Constables at £10 per annum
12 Night Constables at 14/- per week each.
The three principal Watch Stations (note watch stations, not Police Stations) were to be appointed as follows:-
One in the town of Portsmouth
One in the town of Portsea
One in that part of Portsea outside the wails.
By way of explanation for those not familiar with the history of Portsmouth, at this time Portsmouth as mentioned above, is the area now known as Old Portsmouth. Portsea was the area around the Portsmouth Naval Base (formerly the Dockyard) and both areas were surrounded with massive wails, and gates, so that at that time Portsmouth was the most heavily defended town in Europe.
Inner side – Landport Gate doors.
The route through these gates, to the north, led across a moat
The Watch Houses selected were:-
For the town of Portsmouth –
The Council Chambers of the old town hall in High Street
For the town of Portsea –
The Watch House in St George’s Square, Portsea
For that part of Portsea, outside the wails:-
Two rooms in Mr.Purchase’s in Union Road, Landport.
(Union Road was that portion of the present Commercial Road, between Edinburgh Road and Lake Road).
Landport Gate today, still in position