Following the extension of the Portsmouth Borough boundary to take in all Portsea Island in 1904, there came the opening of Fratton Police Station in 1907. Three years earlier, on the 19th April 1904, a special sub-committee was constituted to find a piece of land for the proposed new Fratton Police Station.
They visited four sites viz.
(1) on the east side of Fratton Road, opposite Arundel Street cost £1075
(2) a dwelling house on the west side of Fratton Road, opposite Alver Road – £720
(3) a corner house, with land, on the corner of St. Mary’s Road and Guildford Road – £850
(4) a piece of land on the west side of Fratton Road next to the “Museum Gardens” public house – £648 (now The Contended Pig PH).
They decided on the last site, and recommended the purchase of the site conditionally that the full committee erect a Police and Fire Station thereon. Also to be included at the rear of the Station was to be a Section House for single men and the Bridewell, the main cell block for Portsmouth.
On the 22nd November 19O4 – £648 for the purchase of the site was sanctioned by the Local Government Board.
The Fire Brigade an s Police Station was at 251 & 253 Fratton Road. In 1911 the Supt. was Alfred Day and his Inspectors were, Harry Taylor, William Broadbridge and Samual Moth
By the 11th May 1920, it was resolved that a bicycle be purchased for the use of the inspectors at Fratton Police Station.
This Fratton Division, comprising of Fratton, Kingston Cross and Cosham had been known as “D” Division, but on the 25th February 1928, it should be known as “’B’ Division.
During the Second World War, the Section House at Fratton Police Station was required for other purposes, and on the 4th February 1941, the 19 single men were to be placed in lodgings. Many years later such men would be housed in the Police Hostel Nos. 7, 8 and 9 Portland Terrace, Southsea, together with married quarters at Nos. 4, 5 and 6 Portland Terrace.
Eventually Fratton Police Station and its sub-station at Kingston Cross were replaced by the “new” Kingston Crescent Police Station, in Kingston Crescent. This Station was later extended to include the Portsea Island Divisional Headquarters, replacing Byculla, Queen’s Crescent, Southsea, following the amalgamation of the Portsmouth City Police Force, the Southampton City Police Force and the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary, to form the present Hampshire Constabulary.
Strangely enough this station is now known as Fratton Police Station.