During the war years 1939 – 1945 changes in accommodation were made necessary, by damage and destruction to Police Headquarters and “A” Division.
On the 14th January 1941, arrangements were made with the Education Committee, for “A” Division to be accommodated in part of the Municipal College.
However, as the result of a request from the Education Committee an the 5th December 1944, “A” Division moved from the Municipal College building to St.Michael’s Vicarage, in St.Michael’s Road, Southsea.
The lease for these premises was renewed for a further 7 years from the 25th December 1948 at a rent of £300 per annum.
The “new” Central Police Station in Hyde Park Road (now Winston Churchill Avenue) was opened on the 31 at July 1959 by Sir Charles Cunningham, Permanent Under Secretary of State. The Police Station was built at a cost of more than £51,000 and was the first of the new buildings which were to form part of the new Civic Centre.