Ordnance Row St.George’s Square Police Station

On the 8th June 1843 an agreement was drawn up between the Corporation, Joseph King of Portsea, and John Voller, for the latter two to carry out the work of taking down the cage or prison house in Ordnance Row, Portsea, and erecting a Police Station on the site for £254.

Photo of model - note stocks on right!

Photo of model - note stocks on right!

Specifications included conditions that part of the building should be faced with kiln burnt picked bricks of the island of Portsea and the old cage doors were to be renovated and affixed to the new building.

On the 12th February 1844, the Watch Committee reported to the Council that the building had been completed at a total cost of £310.8s.l0d.

On the 6th September 1856 ‘The Hampshire Telegraph’ urged the removal of the stocks from the front of the Portsea Police Station as…. “they were neither useful or ornamental.” They were later removed to the Corporation stables in Park Road, and have been lost to history.

However by 1921 the Police Station ceased to be used for Police purposes, and was taken over as an office by the Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals. This agreement followed as no purchasers could be found for these premises. They were offered to the P.D.S.A. at a rental of animals. weekly.

Ordnance Row PS

Ordnance Row PS

Fourteen years later, on the 4th September 1966, the Town Clerk reported that the old Police Station in Ordnance Row, Portsea, which was held by the P.D.S.A. on a quarterly tenancy would, subject to Home Office approval, that the site be sold to Shell Mex and B.P. Ltd., for £500, with an obligation, upon the

purchasers to demolish the building. The purchasers having made arrangements with the P.D.S.A. for alternative accommodation, and the latter stated that they would vacate the premises on 30th September 1956.

These premises too, suffered a similar fate, as the old building, as they were to be demolished. Today there are no sign of (i) the old Police Station, (ii) the P D.S.A. office, or (iii) the petrol filling station.